The last week I was pregnant with Grant, back in 2003, I went in to the hospital 3 times (for various reasons) and I was determined with this pregnancy NOT to go in to the hospital during my labor until the last possible moment. Jeremy and I checked into the hospital at 8:30pm and James came out at 8:41pm. Yes...11 minutes after we got to the hospital.
My early labor began at 1:00am, and I didn't even bother to get out of bed because I thought I should conserve my energy. That was a good choice- my contractions continued throughout the day and when I was in the tub from 3:00-5:00pm I transitioned into active labor. I spent the next hours using various coping techniques to get through as many contractions as I could at home. I was bouncing on my exercise ball during a contraction when my water broke at 7:40pm. Jeremy called the hospital and spoke to a nurse to let them know we were coming. Luckily I had done my pre-admission paperwork for the hospital back in September, so all we had to do was get there. I wanted Jeremy to help me clean up before going to the hospital, even though the contractions were really intense by that point (1 minute in length and 3 minutes apart). I thought I had hours and hours of labor left based on the three previous labor experiences I've had. Thankfully that was not so. I was dilated to a 7 when we got to the hospital, much to my surprise. I had never gotten to more than a 5 on my own before. I had an epidural with my 3 previous births, but left myself no time to get one with this labor! Within minutes after arriving, and after a few really painful contractions, I felt the pressure to push. The nurses all said "Don't push". My doctor hadn't gotten there yet and the last time they had checked me I was only dilated to a 7. Well I tried to stop myself from pushing with my hands, and I felt the top of his head. I cried "I feel his head!" The very next contraction he came out entirely. Jeremy and I were shocked that he came out so quickly, but extremely grateful. I know all the prayers that were said on our behalf made a difference. Afterwards I felt great and was getting up on my own a couple hours later. It was a miraculously intense experience, and I'm relieved it's in the past! Thank you for coming out sweet baby James!
2 comments:
Hey pretty lady! My friend Amy Wharton (not sure if you remember her) emailed me a couple weeks ago and said she saw you in the grocery store and that you were prego! I didnt believe it! Well, now I know it was you! I am so glad this pregnancy went well for you. Looky how big the kidos are getting. I will try to update you soon. Congrats on another beautiful baby boy.
Oh my goodnesss you are so brave, CONGRATULATIONS, the family continues to grow! xo
Post a Comment